Mathematics of Baseball
In this course, students will learn about the mathematics found in baseball using Google Sheets as well as other tools and software. Topics will include a study in statistics, analyzing measures of central tendency as well as two-way frequencies tables. Students will work as a scouts, analyzing rates and speeds as found in the sport and as general managers, analyzing trends and making math-based decisions. Students will also work as team managers, looking at probabilities of independent events and trends in data. Finally, students will research the history of baseball, and complete a culminating final project.
|Course Title (District):||Mathematics of Baseball|
|Course Title (NCES SCED) :||Foundation Math—Other|
|Course Provider :||Whitehall District Schools|
|Content Provided By :||Michigan Virtual|
|Online Instructor Provided By :||Whitehall District Schools|
|Standards Addressed :||CCSS, MMC|
|Ailgnment Document :||https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fks2N2IHiYsgOnbZSkyJZmGT8heDc4zkejE0Yu3URB8|
|Academic Terms :||Accelerated, Semester, Trimester|
|NCES SCED Code :||
How To Enroll:
|Enrollment Website :||https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSesq-7lqJjVBrRuwflE8db22egnhPXuu9DZ_wNmhplsVoor5A/viewform|
|Email :||[email protected]|
|Phone :||(888) 889-2840|
Students and Parents: It is important to work closely with your local school counselor or registrar to follow the school's enrollment procedures. By clicking the "Start Registration Request" button below, you will be able to notify the school of your interest in registering for the online course. However, it is the responsibility of the district or school to review the registration request and approve or deny the request. Please make a note to follow up with your school after submitting a registration request.
Additional Course Information:
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: (888) 889-2840
- Create a google sheet with specific formatting and use of basic equations.
- Calculate the measure of central tendency.
- Analyze the effect of outliers on a spread of data.
- Students will calculate variance and explain what variance says about a data set.
- Students will form and support an opinion on the use of sabermetrics in baseball.
- Calculate standard deviation and explain what it says about a data set.
- Students will create box and whisker plots based on given data sets.
- Students will create and analyze two-way frequency charts and relative two-way frequency charts.
- Students will calculate and compare the pitching statistics ERA and WHIP.
- Analyze pie graphs and histograms.
- Create data displays.
- Create scatter plots in Google sheets and find the equation of trendlines.
- Predict outcomes based on linear regression.
- Analyze data displays as they relate to baseball.
- Solve for sides of right triangles use the Pythagorean Theorem.
- Apply the Law of Cosines to find distances in triangles.
- Calculate distance, rate and time.
- Calculate average rate of change of a function.
- Write linear equations to model distance with respect to time.
- Write quadratic equations to model the height of a ball with respect to time.
- Solve proportions.
- Create scale drawings
- Calculate and analyze ratios statistics in baseball.
- Create exponential models using Google Sheets.
- State the difference between correlation and causation.
- Form and defend arguments in regard to correlation and causation.
- Use models and data displays to make predictions.
- Calculate basic probability.
- Find probability of independent and dependent events.
- Find expected value and use it to make decisions in baseball.
- Write a short research paper
- Compile and analyze baseball statistics.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to…
INACOL Online Course Quality Standards
Notice: Undefined variable: reviewGroupedArray in /nas/content/live/micourses/wp-content/plugins/micourses-search/micourses-search.php on line 895
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /nas/content/live/micourses/wp-content/plugins/micourses-search/micourses-search.php on line 895
Review Conducted By : Quality Matters
Date of Review : 03/27/2019
Unit 1: Statistics in Baseball
Unit 2: Analyzing Statistics in Baseball
Unit 3: Representing Data Graphically
Unit 4: Rates and Distance in Baseball
Unit 5: Ratios in Baseball
Unit 6: Modeling in Baseball
Unit 7: Probability in Baseball
Unit 8: The History of Baseball
Unit 9: End of Game Project
|Term Type||Enrollment Opens||Enrollment Ends||Random Draw Date||Enrollment Drop Date||Course Starts||Course Ends||# of Seats||Course Fee||Potential Additional Costs|
|Drop Policy||Completion Policy||Term Type||Enrollment Opens||Enrollment Ends|
|Consult counselor||Consult counselor||Semester||08/01/2020||10/15/2020|
Students can use email or the private message system within the Student Learning Portal to access highly qualified teachers when they need instructor assistance. Students will also receive feedback on their work inside the learning management system. The Instructor Info area of their course may describe additional communication options.
Students will require a computer device with headphones, a microphone, webcam, up-to-date Chrome Web Browser, and access to YouTube.
Please review the Michigan Virtual Technology Requirements: https://michiganvirtual.org/about/support/knowledge-base/technical-requirements/